Thursday, November 1, 2012

A Little Humor In The Aftermath Of Sandy, Or Why You Should Stay In Shape!

Here's Your Healthy Tip of the Day:  Yesterday, I had to get to my lower Manhattan office.  No power, no lights and I'm on the 19th floor.  Management sent a young man with me to climb the stairs and ensure my safety.  So, I said to him, "let's sing so it's not so boring.  When I was fight training years ago, my trainer would make us run up and down flights of stairs, so let's make this more fun and sing songs".  Personally, I was a bit worried that my old lady knees would give out...sliding down the bannisters was coming into the motis operandum for the way down.  So up we went, and as I'm singing songs and reaching the 19th floor, I realized this guy was several flights below me.  I told him to pony up, I was old enough to be his mother.  When we finally reached my office, I had to have him lie down and gave him water.  This was no time for heart attacks...no cell service and this was just no time for CPR!
The message here:  I keep up with my cardio and thank goodness for the yoga I've been doing lately.  You never know when you're going to have to make your body endure and you never know what emergencies lie ahead.  This guy's going to start hitting the gym, 'cause this old lady just laid him to shame!  My knees are just fine and I'll admit...going down is a lot easier than going up! :)  Be safe and prayers for all those terribly affected by Sandy!

No comments:

Post a Comment