Wednesday, December 18, 2013

Mindful Grieving

Listening to my patients' stories is a large part of my practice and key to healing pathological findings.  I listen to stories of joy, happiness, adventure - but I also listen to grief, sadness, depression, loss, death and despair.  This is who I am; this is what my life's mission is...and sometimes, it is difficult to 'take off the white lab coat' at the end of the day and leave it all behind until the next morning.  But, if my listening helps another person get through some dark times and I can get them to laugh before leaving my office - well, I've done a good deed; I've given them a smile and some joy and allowed them to mindfully grieve.

Here's Your Healthy Tip of the Day:  The end of the year brings out the worst in some people and for many folks, this time of year hashes up very emotional issues that may be difficult to manage.  Be kind.  If someone you know just needs to talk - listen to them.  That's all you have to do - just listen and quietly be there for them.  If you have someone in your life who is always there for you when you need to talk, then acknowledge them and their love. 

No comments:

Post a Comment