Friday, March 22, 2013

For The 50+ People...Do It Because You Can

Here;s Your Healthy Tip of the Day:  I treat all types of athletes in my practice - from the professional players to the weekend warrriors.  There is one demographic that I particularly enjoy working with...these are my 50+ year old athletes that play competitive lacrosse, ice hockey, basketball and many other aggressive sports at least three times weekly.  These men and women  have their histories of various injuries - 'bad' knees, 'bad' shoulders, 'bad' hips.  Many of these patients have very responsible and stressful jobs, families to support, and elderly parents to take care of.  Playing their sport is their way to destress and have FUN in their lives.  They lose themselves in their activity and when they're finished playing hard, they've got a smile on their faces and ready to face life's many challenges...but they've got aches and pains.  They tell me that their allopathic physicians have advised them to stop playing their sport of choice. This translates to 'stop doing what you love in life'.   I don't believe in this philosophy and that's why these folks come to me for treatment.  Together, we develop a strategy so that they can continue to play their sport with minimum to no pain post game.
I believe you should participate in whatever sport you love to play.  The combination of acupuncture, chinese herbal therapy, diet and supportive exercises such as yoga and pilates can make the difference between living life fully or becoming a bystander.  My patients come to see me for weekly treatments.  They are all enjoying their sport of choice - post 50+ years of age and excited because since commencing treatments, they can run faster, play harder, and jump higher.  They are living life fully and participating in what they love to do in life.  They're playing sports because they CAN! 

No comments:

Post a Comment